This season we partnered with the "Hi, How Are You Project", sponsored by friends and family members of Daniel Johnston, to inspire new conversations about mental health issues through funding and creating multimedia content, awareness-raising projects and events. The project aims to promote awareness and freedom from prejudice associated with mental health problems, focusing on listening and open dialogue for those involved in the forefront.
Vans proudly contributes to the awareness campaign and presents the Vans x Daniel Johnston Skate Authentic, with the iconic graphic of Daniel’s cassette on a suede and canvas upper 6 ounces (170 g). In the early years when he wrote songs, Daniel drew by hand on cassettes that he gave to friends and strangers. The design of this shoe features a checkerboard pattern created from Johnston’s cassettes and inspired by the lo-fi execution and the iconic low-fidelity art that have made it popular.
Features designed for the skate include repositioned DURACAP reinforcements and the completely redesigned upper, combined with a new two-part ribbon with deeper knurled pattern on the toe, to make the Skate Authentic strong enough to withstand everyday skateboarding. The new buttress contoured on the heel and the inner ribbon tab ensure better skate control and a perfect fit. Vans' famous rubber-resin outsole has also been improved with the SICKSTICK# compound, to offer greater grip and boardfeel. In addition, the energy-returning POPCUSH insole offers maximum cushioning and impact protection, while reducing leg fatigue during longer skateboarding sessions. Internal heel reinforcements have also been added to provide more support and stability.
For Vans, the world of skateboarding can offer a powerful form of creative expression and contribute to a profound impact on mental well-being. Because behind the skateboard and the tricks there is a whole world to discover.
• VANS SKATEBOARDING X DANIEL JOHNSTON COLLECTION: the personalised graphics of this collection are inspired by Daniel’s iconic self-produced cassettes and his iconic low fidelity art.
• GREATER RESISTANCE: DURACAP reinforced materials, deeper knurled texture on the tip and higher sole sides offer a traditional look while ensuring greater strength and protection.
• UPPER COMPLETELY REDESIGNED: rebuilt with a buttress shaped on the heel and inner tab for a snug fit and greater skate control.
• LEGENDARY GRIP: our new patented SickStick rubber compound. is the most adherent we have made so far.
• POPCUSH CUSHIONING: our best cushioning and impact protection. The energy-returning POPCUSH insole protects the feet and reduces the fatigue of the legs during longer skateboarding sessions.
Composition: suede, canvas, rubber